Sunday, July 26, 2009

We Mourn the Death of Natalia Estemirova and Listen for the Bells of Justice!

An article appeared in The Human Rights Watch newspaper entitled, "Russia: Justice for Killing Natalia Estemirova." The article stated: "Natalia Estemirova, a leading human rights activist in the troubled Russian republic of Chechnya and a close colleague of Human Rights Watch, was abducted near her home in Grozny on the morning of July 15, 2009, and carried off in a car as people on a nearby balcony heard her call out that she was being kidnapped. She was found shot dead later that day in the neighboring republic of Ingushetia."

Here is a dramatic dialogue dedicated to the memory of Estemirova:

Natalia: Have you found me?

Citizen: We never lost you. It happened before our eyes. We cried out!

Fellow Activist: We'll get to the bottom of this. Justice will be done.

Human Rights Lawyer: What does the Universal Declaration of Human Rights say? What precedents guide us in our understanding of its provisions?

Citizen: Aren't we getting a bit ahead of ourselves? Don't we first have to get those responsible for her death to get justice for Natalia?

Natalia: Find me first; in Russia, in the Congo, in Dafur... Then, you would have journeyed closer to justice, don't cry for me nor for Russia, but for humanity...the threat to life, to human rights. Get back at "disregard" and "contempt" for human life.

Good evening, Natalia!

To all, thanks for stopping by.

1 comment:

  1. I have to admit, it is difficult to stay abreast of so many changes and occurences around the world! I watch the news, and try to stay updated on the happenings of the world, but I am so sheltered in my American life! As with so many other people, the trials and tribulations of our personal lives put the needs of others on a back burner. And not purposefully, because we are all trying to make our own little piece of the world a better place. I commend you, Cecil, for being so educated to the myriad human rights issues (and violations) from around the world. I want to weep for the death of Natalia, but in doing so I know there are thousands more who have met the same fate in order to restore human decency to the human race. I am almost ashamed of my ignorance, yet I know through conversations such as this I will be more aware of the plight of those less fortunate than I. Thank you, Cecil, for opening my eyes to what my heart is aware of, but what my mind can't seem to fathom. I have faith in humanity, and hope our world will encompass the same faith within their lives.

    ReplyDelete